~ An Adulterous Heart ~
Every believer is in a covenant relationship with God. This blood covenant is celebrated every time you have communion. God compares salvation to a marriage covenant. In a covenant relationship, no competing affections may be tolerated.
This couldn’t have hit any closer to home for me when I first read this (June 24th 2011). I’d been struggling with a competing affection for quite awhile.
If a woman sees her husband delighting in another woman, her heart will be grieved, and their fellowship will be damaged. If the Lord sees a believer delighting in competing affections, His Holy Spirit will be grieved, and the power of His grace will be quenched. God commands, “Grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption” (Ephesians 4:30), and “Quench not the Spirit” (1st Thessalonians 5:19)
Visible Evidences of an Adulterous Heart – (I’m including all of them that are written in this section)
- Have you memorized song lyrics that violate God’s Word?
- Do you delight in the worldly music of these songs?
- Do enjoy the company of friends who focus on the world?
- Do you listen to music you know your parents would reject?
- Do you watch worldly or sensual movies?
- Do you delight in immoral pictures or books?
- Do you study philosophies that leave out Christ?
- Do you have friends that your parents would disapprove of?
- Do you spend more time with temporal things than eternal?
Root causes of Competing Affections
- Setting up Idols in Your Heart
An idol is anyone or anything from which you expect benefits that only God can promise: security, direction in life, fulfillment, etc. …..
- Dwelling on Secret Lusts
Being tempted with a lustful thought is not sin. It becomes sin, however, if you continue to think about it and picture it in your mind…
- Having a Dating Spirit
A person with a dating spirit singles out someone for special attention without intending to pursue marriage and without going through proper authorities….
- Making Wealth a Goal in Your Life
God warns that the love money is the root of all evil. If you pursue this love, you will not only grieve the Spirit of God but you will also inherit a series of potential disasters….
Each person may have different competing affections. Ask God to reveal them to you and then repent of them.
Ministry can be a competing affection if it neglects what He commanded you to do – disciple others.
Series to be Continued: Next Post – “A Deceitful Heart”